Probe the Globe

This webpage is dedicated to my travels around the world and thoughts that accompany them. A Disclaimer: I hate the word 'blog'. For the past few years, hearing everyone and their mothers ramble on about 'blog's and 'blogging' and [insert blog-related buzz word here] has made me want to rub my ears on a cheese-grater. But in the end, this is much easier than sending out group emails and pictures, and everyone can check for updates without me having to fill up their inboxes.

Name:
Location: Kinokawa-shi, Wakayama-ken, Japan

If you dont know about me already, none of this should interest you anyways.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Linguistics


After an epic 40+ hours in transit, I found myself on a limousine bus to Beijing's city center. Peering out the window as we drove past the neon signs and advertisements of the city outskirts, I wondered just how deep the resemblances of the last giant Red State would run with my home for two years, Japan.

For me, the characters were the first noticeable similarity. The Japanese language utilizes thousands of kanji (Chinese characters), which were imported from mainland Asia hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Though the characters utilized contemporarily both in Japan and China have diverged from their original forms and nuances, many have retained the same basic meanings. The practical end result of this thousand year long linguistic evolution from my standpoint has been a sense of comfort amongst the passing signs and maps and restaurant menus. Of course I don't understand most of it, but it's just familiar enough to feel at ease.


The spoken languages, however, couldn't be more different. A Japanese couple occupied the seats behind me on the airport bus and every other seat was filled by Chinese people. The Japanese couple talked very calmly in their nice, polite, rhythmic patterns in a soothing fashion that could put a baby to sleep. A Chinese girl to my left, chatting on her cell phone, was belting out tone-filled, razor-sharp syllables that could cause an eardrum to implode in an instant. If Japanese were the classical music of languages, then Chinese would certainly be the punk rock.

1 Comments:

Blogger Noel said...

Stacey,

Glad to hear you have arrived safe and sound in China and your epic journey has begun.

As I mentioned on the phone, it would be great if we could collaborate and make some cultural lessons for back here in the Gun.

It's interesting that you comment on the linguistic differences between Chinese and Japan. It is something I have been experimenting with recently in my classes.

The Japanese certainly seem to have an extremely honed sensitivity to rhythm and tone.

It seems that it might be a good idea to communicate via each others pages. So, I look forward from hearing from you when you get the chance.

Keep the bozu...I think Mr Nomura will be proud.

Take it easy

-Noel

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home